The following topics are discussed in four half-day sessions:
- The fatal diving accident: autopsy or not? Securing diving equipment and “crime scene”? Psychological counseling fellow divers and family? Repatriation of remains?
- Physics in practice: divers ask for advice on gas mixtures; evaluation of DCS risk in mixture gas diving. How do you calculate risk related to diving profile? Rebreather and technical diving.
- The diving doctor's first aid kit: what do you take with you on a diving trip to deal with small and large calamities? Within the limits of your own competence and “common sense”?
- Diving Accident Treatment: Recompression and what else? What after the first hyperbaric treatment? Rehabilitation? Additional examination (risk factors)? When to resume diving?.
- Update of the BLS-DAN course and DAN Oxygen Provider Course.
Hof van Putten, Putten, The Netherlands
9 and 10 June 2023.
Number of participants:
Given the structure and the interactive nature of this course, up to fifteen people can register.
The course is open to doctors with a demonstrable knowledge of diving medicine at least at the level of Medical Examiner of Divers. Those who have followed the Level 1 course part 1 are also admitted.
The course is part of the international certification of Diving Medicine Physicians and has been accredited with 16 CME points for Diving Medicine Physicians and Medical Examiners of Divers.
On completion of the course, all participants will receive a certificate of attendance..
The course manual will be sent to you.
Peter Germonpré MD, Medical director of DAN Europe Benelux, Medical director of the Centre for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy of the Military Hospital Brussels.
Dr. Anne K. Räisänen, MD, PhD, pathologist University of Helsinki, Finland. Diving medicine in Hyperbaric Clinic Medioxygen and Finnish Defense Forces. Diving Medical Officer DAN Europe
Elke van Renterghem MD, Specialist in emergency medicine, outdoor medicine and diving medicine.
Includes 2x lunch, coffee, tea, course and course materials €750. For hotel accommodation see registration form.
Friday 9 June 2023
08.00 - 11.00h
- General considerations: assessing own competence for "emergency medicine".
- Available first aid kit: legal requirements for large(er) ships.
- First aid kit to take with you: content and quantities, versatile use, expiry date.
- Legal problems when crossing borders with e.g. medicines and narcotics.
11.00 - 12.00h. DAN Oxygen Provider Course.
12.00 - 12.45h. Lunch.
12.45 - 16.00h. Diving.
- Case reports.
- Refresher of the basic laws of physics (Boyle-Mariotte, Dalton, Henry, Archimedes).
- Trimix and rebreather diving (principles, Trimix mixtures, gradient factors, ...).
- Evaluation of saturation in mixed gas diving (EAD, Hempleman EF concept).
16.00 - 17.30h. DAN BLS en AED course
Saturday 10 June 2023
08.00 - 12.00h.
- Case reports.
- Principles of "learning by case reports" - DAN Europe Fatality Reports.
- Autopsy of the deceased diver - how cause of death can (not) be determined
- Examination of the diving equipment
- Practical aspects of fatal diving accident abroad.
- Insurance issues, repatriation of the remains.
12.00 - 12.45h. Lunch.- Case reports
12.45 - 17.00h.
- Basics of initial diving injury treatment.
- Mild vs serious DCS.
- Which treatments in the after-process, Rehabilitation?
- Follow-up examinations, advice, if and when diving can be resumed?
17.00 - 17.30h. Examination and closing.
Registration means that the cancellation policy is applicable
. Please read carefully before registration.
The following cancellations rules are applicable:
- For cancellation by the participant more than three months prior to the starting date of the activity, there is an administration fee of €150 excl. any ticket, accommodation or diving cancellation fee.
- For cancellation by the participant between three months and one month prior to the starting date of the activity, 90% of the total course fee, excl. any ticket, accommodation or diving cancellation costs, is payable.
- For cancellation by the participant less than one months prior to the starting date of the activity, 100% of the total course fee, excl. any extra ticket, accommodation or diving cancellation costs, is payable.
For clarity, in defining the point of cancellation, it is determined upon the date of receipt of the participant’s notice of cancellation by the Scott Haldane Foundation.